On Rogation Sunday 1st May 2016 The History Group and guests attended while Rev. Cate unveiled a Boundary Stone to mark this ancient boundary. We followed this with a walk along a part of the boundary.
finalised the details of the talk by Jim Rider in the church on 21st
April Jim has his own projector. £3 on the door with tea, coffee and biscuits,
meet at the church 7 pm to set up.
asked if there was any interest on holding a
railway event in March 2017 to
mark the 50 years since the Sidmouth Line closed. It looks like we may do
something, so watch this space.
placing of the Boundary Stone is all in place for Sun 1st May at
2:30 pm and invites have gone out by email. Rev. Cate has kindly offered to do
Smith has confirmed he will be able to join us for the 2nd June meeting, when he will update us on his
finds in the area. Roy while metal
detecting found a railway badge
who volunteers at the Devon Heritage Centre has seen a voter list dated 1759 / 60 list for Exeter
Parliamentary elections. Dan Defoe passed through Honiton in the 1720s and
mentions the parliamentary situation of some of the towns in the Southwest.
has been given the task of identifying photos of early railways including some of the Brunel broad gauge line in South Devon and the Pumping Station at time of the change
from broad gauge to standard gauge.
has been looking up things in the old newspapers and we discussed the prize for
the farm labourer with most children given at Ploughing Matches, the more
children, the more free labour for the boss, but, it must have been so hard in
the old damp and near derelict cottages found on some farms.
nattered about research the other conflicts and if out menfolk from the village
would have been on the Boer war and Crimea war. Sadly, the many army lists only
mention the officers.
David has an Advowson relating the village, it
shows who had the right to present the Rector to Feniton Church. It lists many
names, some we know about as part of the Manor of Feniton, others no known, so
another jigsaw to collate.
title of Yeoman was discussed. This link helps define it:
bought along a map showing how the roads
in the old village had changed over time from 1700 to 1900, he used notes from Victor
Chown’s book and Donns map 1765.
The oldest route in Broadhill, was a sand
quarry which was worked out in the
1700s, then used as the cutting for Sandy Knapp/ Green lane about 1765 ish.
Lane from Cheriton Hill used to run through Beechwood copse to Sandy Knapp in a straight line. Broad Hill was put in about 1830. Rutts Lane was too
high and was lowered to meet Broad Hill, closing the lane through Beechwood.
1840 Sir John Patteson who lived in the court, closed Church Lane which, at the
time was the through road to Curscombe. The top of Sand Knapp was too steep for wagons. The council lowered it,
the sides are still visible in the sand bank. The sand was used for building, Westlades
was built using material from the
quarry. Thank you Alan.
raised a query about the land and garden around Sherwood Villa, seems to be an
old wall running across towards Appletrees. Does anyone when the Villa was
told us of his visit to Beer Quarry Caves and suggested it would be somewhere
for a FHG group outing.
progress on her projects, we all love her excitement at what she has
discovered! Her current quest is the Feniton Inn situated where Parr Cottage is
now. It was run by Henry Darke, he married in
1823 to a farmers daughter, Ann
old newspapers reveal it was the venue for the annual dinners held after the
ploughing matches. They describe a big
room with a huge roof and tent sides.
In the Railway Hotel the beer was dearer in
the lounge bar.
We spoke about the age of the new estate. Memories of the houses being built and even a
playground which never came too!! That rings a bell with the current new
housing development. Ely Close was built about 1972.
through the Vestry books in the Heritage Centre Brenda found that in 1873 St Anne’s chapel was sold,
the money to benefit the school but the Honiton Union said no. The Population at the time was 306.
found was reference to Branscombe Mill at
Fenny Bridges, this is something we have not heard before. In the back of the Church wardens book is a 1806 description of walking the boundary.
concluded another wonderful evening, thank you all.
This was a fascinating talk, adding a human element to the accident, which some of the audience remembered. If you get chance to hear Jim's talk don't miss it.
Thank you Jim for a very informative evening.
This took place in Feniton Church 7:30 pm on Thursday
21st April on behalf of Feniton History Group.
Jim Rider's new book
'Mayday in July' has been published by the Ottery St Mary Heritage
Society and is now available from the Curious Otter Bookshop in Ottery St Mary
(price £7.95). It is also available on
line from Amazon. The book tells the
story of the last flight of a Viscount airliner, G-ARBY, which landed in a
farmer's field south of Ottery St Mary in July 1980. All sixty two people on board walked away and
there were no injuries. It is a
remarkable local story and has never been fully told before.
For more details on 'Mayday in July' talks please contact
business part of the meeting confirmed the change of date for Jim Rider.
are his notes on the talk:
book tells the story of the last flight of a Viscount airliner, G-ARBY, which
landed in a farmer's field south of Ottery St Mary in July 1980. All sixty-two people on board walked away and
there were no injuries. It is a
remarkable local story and has never been fully told before. I will be
presenting an illustrated talk on the event in Feniton Parish Church at 7.30 pm
on Thursday 21st April 2016. Everyone welcome.“
have spoken to Graeme Smith and he will be joining us for the June meeting (2nd
June) in the Nog Inn.
of Feniton Church asks if we can do a display or our choosing for the plant
sale on 14/15 May, the Group felt they had nothing new to offer at the moment.
have seen various Conflict Commemorations and thought we should check if we
have and service folk from later conflicts who lived in Feniton. Geoff suggested we might look at the Boer War
and the Crimea.
We had a good natter about the wonderful
photos taken by James Ravilious, son of the painter Eric. This link tells more:
told us about the maps he is working on as part of a conservation volunteer
project in the Devon Record Office. He had come across a map showing Vicarage
Cottages at Fairmile, these would have been demolished when the A30 was
widened. A photo of the cottages is shown on page 95 of “Around Ottery St Mary”
by Gerald Gosling and Peter Harris. Published 1994.
is looking at non-conformist chapels in the area for his current research.
is pleased to say she has completed her major research on the Western Rebellion
She tells us one of the Malherbe family was held to ransom in 1483 a ransom was paid He was wounded
by a musket shot. So perhaps this is the “wound” in the shoulder of the tomb in
Feniton Church? She has also finished her work on early immunisation and
tells us he has a colleague, Glen Ford, who is to x-ray the arrow heads from Windmill
Hill to confirm the evidence relating to
the period of the Western Rebellion.
explained how well the School Project is
progressing, and now has some Church of England notes on Feniton. The current school was opened in 1967 on its current site so it will be its 50th
year in 2017.
1863 the first school opened with 30
children, but, it seems like they made the list up from the church baptism register instead of using the actual children.
Some were too old to be in school, so a
false document if ever there was one!
talk by Jim Rider: the new date is Thursday 21st April at 7:30 pm.
quickly discussed our current research, Food & Farming in WW1, Brenda’s
school project, both with the Devon History Society. David has more on the
dispute between the Rev. Head and the Bishop! George is looking at
Nonconformists in the area. Geoff, through his volunteer work in the Devon
Heritage Centre is working on maps from our local land agents, Whitton and
Laing and a new deposit in from the Estate Agents Force, who were also
you to Jenny and George for arranging the visit of Will Churcher to the
was the best evening we have had in a long time! Fuelled by Landlord Mike’s ale!
was accompanied by his friend Chris, who joined in our conversations with a
mind of an engineer.
interesting and just amazing to hold the musket shot and bodkins found by Will
with his metal detector.
finds relate to the time of the Prayer Book Rebellion, 1549. Will is working on a Civil War project for a hands on history collection to be put
together for the Royal Albert Museum in Exeter.
urged everyone to be honest and responsible in their metal detecting and take
finds to the museum for verification.
was so enthralled by the artefacts, my notes taken on the night may be lacking!
nothing has ever been found in the fields where the Battle at Fenny Bridges
took place, apart from an arrow head in a tree.
St Mary saw one of the important battles in the
Rebellion. After the battle at Woodbury Common on 4 August 1549, the
rebels under the control of Humphrey Arundell had re-grouped with the main
contingent of 6,000 at Clyst St Mary, but on 5 August were attacked by a
central force led by Sir William Francis, under the control of John Russell,
1st Earl of Bedford. After a ferocious battle Russell's troops gained the
advantage leaving a thousand Cornish and Devonians dead and many more taken
prisoner, 900 of whom were massacred later that day at Clyst Heath. Many of the
soldiers and villagers were drowned in the river. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clyst_St_Mary#Battle_of_Clyst_St_Mary
the marshes at Clyst St. Mary finds include musket balls, and a Baldrick which
is a sword belt. The Bridge there is
meant to be the oldest in Devon. A Gunner held the bridge with a canon by John
Hammond. The area may have been flooded, so they would have crossed at Bishops Clyst.
Bodkins arrow heads probably Devon made and could pierce armour, they wore helmets, and possibly
showed us a Culverin ball shot, size of a golf ball, from this sort of weapon,
David pointed out this could well be that depicted in the wound carved into the
cadaver in the church. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culverin
and Italian mercenaries fought in the rebellion:
A near full house of our members, and as usual we had a wide
Jenny and George are arranging a visitor to talk about
archaeology finds relating to the Western Uprising. This be in the Nog Inn at our February
meeting on the 4th Feb.
We confirmed the event in the Church on the Thurs. 17th
March when Jim Rider will talk to us about flight G-ARBY, the airliner that
crash landed on Bishops Court Farm on 17 Jul 1980.
I mentioned I was having a chat on social media regarding
the origins of the name for the village of Talaton, here are my thoughts:
The origins of the village name, Talaton. i.e. ton being a
hamlet, and Tal, may be from the River?
The River Tale, a tributary of
the River Otter has its source in the hills behind Broadhembury at Hanger Farm,
OS map ref: ST 11864 06059. It then meanders through Broadhembury, Colliton, Danes’s
Mill, Payhembury, passing the hamlets of Higher and Lower Tale on the high
ground, Tale Common Head to Tuck Mill, to Talewater, through Colesworthy,
Clapperentale, Escot, Fairmile, to Cadhay, here it meets with the River Otter,
OS map ref: SY 09207 95911.
The village of Talaton lies over
a ridge from the Tale Valley, geographically it does not share the Tale Valley,
apart, from the River Tale being part of the parish boundary between Feniton
and Talaton, where is runs through Talewater and Colesworthy.
Chris Saunders came to give us an
update on the possible restoration of the monument at Patteson’s Cross. The
Ottery Heritage are in full support for this repair and this repair only, they
will not adopt the monument or take responsibility for it after this.
The ownership of it is still
unknown, but Devon Highways tend the grass island it sits on and will allow its
repair. So advice from a conservator would be welcome. Chris will potter on
searching for the best way to progress this, if we come across anything
relevant please pass it to Chris.
Chris then spoke about a book he has received via a
visitor who stayed at his house, unbeknown to her that she was staying in the
area where Bishop Patteson resided!. In the under croft of her home in Auckland
she found the diaries of one Thomas Kerr, a Meteorologist, he took part in the
same mission as Bishop Patteson.
The book is called “The Search for Thomas Kerr: Mariner, Mapmaker,
Missionary, Meteorologist”. There’s something irresistible about a diary, especially
one from over 150 years ago discovered under a house. Scrawled cryptic entries
on water-stained pages, near-impossible to read, but hinting at the story of a
man’s adventures sailing in the South Pacific. That random find sent author
Jean Day on a fifty-year journey of discovery where she found uncanny parallels
between her life and that of the long-departed diarist, Thomas Kerr. This book
is the story of how she unravelled the tangled threads of the careers he
followed; his travels across the globe, from being an orphan in Devonport
England; to becoming a naval officer and taking part in charting NZ on the HMS
Pandora and fighting in the Chinese Opium Wars. His life as a Melanesian
missionary in the islands around Vanuatu; and then as Vicar of Devonport NZ;
and his final years as a meteorologist at Valentia, Ireland; until his death in
David related his current research into one Bishop Phillpott
of Exeter, with whom our own Rev. Head
clashed over teaching the
catechism. Rev. Head was dismissed from
his post because of this, but was
welcomed back to Feniton with much jubilation, his horses being unhitched from
the carriage and he was pulled into the village by the parishioners! He was a
man who took his faith seriously, but did not follow the popish ways, he said
this: Water is water, bread is bread, wine is wine.
Paterson was ordained by Philpott. Bishop Phillpotts was involved with the slave
trade, on an estate in the ownership of the Society for the Propagation of the
Gospel in Foreign Parts. https://www.ucl.ac.uk/lbs/person/view/18347 The slaves were branded with the word
Thank you all for such an interesting evening. I look
forward to seeing you all in February 2016!
On their return from the Devon History
Society lecture by Mark Stoyle on 'The South Western Rebellion of 1549
Revisited'. George and Jenny were chuffed to tell us about some metal detecting
finds including Bodkins.
The Rev. Blackstone says
the Devon rebellion 1549 was caused the Cornish came to Fenny Bridges.
recalled the local agent, the late Geoffrey Whitton, and his son’s called
Wakefield a surname from the female line.
Geoffrey and his father looked after the
Feniton Court Estate and many local farmers affairs. They would ride out from
Exeter on horseback in the early days.
about Quakers in Devon, they were not allowed to go to university, so set up in trade. Hence Frys and Cadburys
the confectioners. There are
nonconformist graves in the Exeter Catacombs, less persecution followed the act
of Settlement in 1701.
The work of the Landmark Trust building
restoration relating to recent TV series
We are organising a talk by the author Jim
Rider on the airliner crash near Tipton St John.